The position of HSE Director will manage and oversee 360 Rail Services safety program, in addition to developing and establishing a management process for 360 Rail Services equipment fleet, oversee equipment fleet, managing different aspects of the company’s assets as related to your job title, and hiring and interviewing field staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, federal and provincial regulations with special emphasis on FRA, OSHA, MSHA, DOT and customer requirements.
- Works closely with leadership to cultivate safety culture.
- Manages health and safety resources and related departmental budgets.
- Recommends appropriate disciplinary action when safety policies are violated.
- Oversees the administration of our Drug and Alcohol Program, particularly reasonable suspicion and post-incident testing.
- Resolves issues and makes process recommendations to comply with Drug and Alcohol Program.
- Manage health and safety personnel throughout the company and, when necessary, assist in the hiring of new personnel.
- Create, manage and oversee a comprehensive safety training program for all employees. Organize and conduct safety training as necessary.
- Monitor and review all safety incidents, ensuring that all safety incidents are properly reported and investigated using a proper root-cause analysis method. Ensure that appropriate corrective action is identified and completed as the result of safety investigations.
- Assist operations management in the review of contract documents as related to specific safety requirements.
- Create, develop and monitor a program for reviewing subcontractor safety performance and programs, ensuring that sub-contractors are compliant with regulatory and client safety requirements.
- Assisting in the preparation of and managing pre-qualification submissions as related to specific safety policies and practices required by Class 1 and other railroad and industry customers.
- Manages and oversees safety audit program, ensuring that audits are conducted and identified, corrective action is completed, and makes improvements to the program as necessary.
- Collects, analyzes and generates reports of leading and lagging safety indicators and other key performance indicators of safety performance, and utilizes that data to make necessary improvements to the safety program.
- Maintains safety files and records.
- Other duties related to your position.
QUALITIES CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS:
- Rail industry knowledge a plus.
- 2-4 years project construction experience.
- Has good understanding and knowledge of scopes of work and tolerances.
- Has good written and verbal communication skills: expresses ideas clearly and effectively; uses proper grammar and syntax.
- Has good management skills: establishes techniques to effectively and proactively monitor and supervise the work of subordinates and to follow up on the results of delegated assignments.
- Integrity: maintains the normal standards of ethics, conduct, and organizational policies in job-related activities.
- Has excellent problem-solving ability: finds and uses relationships between data from different sources to formulate alternative solutions.
- Is a team player: works well with other people; takes time to help co-workers, customers, subcontractors and others to achieve their goals and assignments as it relates to safety.
- Is organized: establishes priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks.
- Plans effectively: establishes courses of action for self and for others; allocates resources and assigns personnel; uses time efficiently; is personally well-organized.
- Is professional: displays appropriate appearance and professional conduct; makes a good impression on others.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction processes.
- Has a valid driver’s license.
- Is able to travel to and from the project site.
- Understands and applies FRA and class 1 railroads safety standards.
- Ability to perform weekly safety audits on crews and subcontractors.
- Safety position: 5 years
- Industry Safety Certifications a plus